“The California Cowboy” - Trevor & Roberta Rush, Stoughton, WI
1967 F-100 Long Bed, it was a fully optioned Standard Cab (not a Custom Cab, a Camper Special, or Ranger). Options: 352 V-8, PS, PB, radio, and A/C (the under the dash type).
Trevor purchased the truck in April of 1989, when he lived in San Bernardino, CA. It was sold new in Hawthorne CA, and was in Chico CA for many years. It moved him and a two axle U-haul to Wisconsin in November 1990 where he met & married Roberta a few years later. Truck was stored winters and driven summers until major crossroads reached in summer of 2001, when they “jumped off the cliff” and decided to do a total frame off 2 year long “rodstoration.”
What follows is just a brief list of work done:
ENGINE: Built 390 FE (By Baileys Performance Motorsports, of Sun Prairie, WI)
- Original 352 block, bored .050 over with 390 crank.
- Balanced & blueprinted, align bored, decked, etc.
- TRW Forged pistons, H-Beam Eagle Rods, Edelbrock Aluminum Heads & Performer Intake (Jet Hot Coated), Hi-Volume oil & water pumps, Holley electric fuel pump.
- Hi-Lift dual plane Crower Cam, (280/286, .551), Quick Fuel Street Series 735cfm Carb.
- Tri-Y cerama coated headers (Ford Powertrain Applications) and Maganflow mufflers.
- One wire chrome 100 Amp Alternator, Mallory distributor with Pertronix Ignitor II module, Mallory Hy-Fire & Coil.
CHASSIS: (Frame was sandblasted, etch primed, and painted Satin Black)
- C-Notch installed in rear, 2” drop rear spring and shackle hangers, 2 leafs removed and springs de-arched, 3” dropped front I beams (DJM) with 2” Lower variable rate coils, with custom shocks from No Limit. Front anti-sway bar and steering damper added.
- Install new stainless steel frame mount gas tank behind rear axle with bed fill.
- Convert to front Disc Brakes, new stainless steel lines.
- Stock 9” rear end changed to Auburn limited slip and 4:10 ring and pinion, axles upgraded to 31 spline. (Rear End by Eastside Transmission, Madison, WI).
- Transmission is a beefed Ford AOD behind custom bellhousing, both from Lentech, with 2400 rpm stall converter, and Lokar floor shifter, TV cable, & dipstick.
- Wheels are 17” Billet Specialties (Rasp), with 275/60 rear and 225/55 front General UHP tires.
BODYWORK: (By SH Auto Body & Restoration, Madison, WI)
- Weld and fill all seams, trim & moldings, fill stake pockets, shaved drip rails, fill & smooth inner fenders and firewall and paint body color.
- Dash reworked with all dash pad holes and radio opening filled.
- Rolled rear pan welded in, smooth tailgate cover welded on, tailgate handle relocated.
- Flush fit hard bed cover (Checkmate), painted body color.
- Inside of bed painted with Cream White Texture coating.
- Paint is: Deep Cranberry Pearl (a Chrysler color) and Cream White, 2 stage base/clear (Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000).
- Graphics & Pin Striping by Vital Signs of Verona, WI
INTERIOR: (Upholstery by Ace Auto Upholstery, Madison, WI)
- Strip padded dash, fill all holes, paint body color, add Billet aluminum 6 gauge panel and VDO Millenium gauges, Vintage Air compact II heat/cool/defrost unit, power windows, and a Cream White painted steel console (homemade by “Bucky”) for tuner and floor shifter.
- Stock bench seat, headliner, door and kick panels, cab interior, and woofer enclosure ALL covered in Plum Tweed and Glacier Naugahyde, with a Tuck and Roll dash center piece. Carpet Maroon Sussex by AAC.
- “Sound System” with Panasonic Ghost tuner, sub amp, 8” Alumapro woofer, and 4 Liberty speakers, by The Radio Doctor of Madison, WI, make for Cruisin’ in style.